A bread-making masterclass for home bakers, featuring simple, satisfying breads, loaves, and rolls made from a range of flours, including gluten-free varieties
In The Bread Book, Éric Kayser – founder of the legendary French bakery Maison Kayser and bestselling author of The Larousse Book of Bread makes baking bread from scratch both accessible and exciting.
Kayser begins with the fundamentals of bread-making, offering primers on traditional leavening techniques, types of flour, and essential ingredients, as well as a helpful glossary. Each recipe is explained with concise, easy-to-follow instructions, and includes prep, proofing, and baking times to aid with time management. Step-by-step photography demystifies the more complex breadmaking processes, and a handy troubleshooting section addresses common breadmaking dilemmas.
The collection of 60 recipes includes foolproof versions of boulangerie and international staples; healthy recipes featuring heritage grains – from high-protein lentil and chickpea flours to low-gluten and gluten-free varieties made with einkorn, buckwheat, spelt and rye, as well as a mouthwatering range of sweet loaves and brioches.
Clear, comprehensive, and beautifully produced,The Bread Book is a kitchen shelf essential for the modern home baker.
Chapters and recipes include:
- Classic Breads : Baguette; Boule; Heritage Wheat Bread; No-Knead Bread; Rye Loaf
- Breads with Heritage Grains : Corn and Sunflower Seed Bread; Grape Seed Bread; Hemp Bread; Rice Flour and Buckwheat Bread; Quinoa Flour Bread
- Breads of the World : Bao Buns; Challah; Naan; Pita; Rosemary Focaccia
- Stuffed Loaves : Cheese Bread; Fig, Hazelnut, and Fennel Bread; Matcha and Candied Orange Bread; Mixed Fruit and Nut Crown; Olive Bread
- Brioches : Babka; Chocolate and Banana Brioche; Ekmek with Raisins and Pecans; Japanese Milk Bread with Pistachios and Cherries; Pain Au Lait